Saturday, October 1, 2011

Margie's 90th, Cathie Shirley

Dear Marge,



Happy 90th Birthday! I have known you as long as I have known Neal and have loved you just as long. Through the years you have become not just a mother-in-law, but another mom to me. I have admired your mothering techniques and often wished that I could be as kind and patient with my children as you have been with yours. You have been a great example to me.


Some of our family's most beloved recipes have come from you. I have always associated your home with good food and good company. Some of my earliest dating memories are of the things like fried chicken at 11:00 pm served up by you to a group of teenagers after the prom. Or slush at Christmas. Or your wonderful rolls at Thanksgiving. Or your famous marshmallow brownies. Or your Sunday night suppers with whomever in the family that could gather... just to name a few. Your home has always been a place where we could find not only good food, but love and support.


It has been my blessing and privilege to live close to you throughout most of my married life. You have been a good visiting teaching companion for many years and a good "seat-saver" at church. You've been there for Neal and me and also for our children. We have always loved your sense of humor and quick wit. We all have great memories.


And now at 90 years of age, you continue to bless our lives. I am so thankful to have you as a "mom", friend, and neighbor. Hopefully, you have many more years ahead. Our lives are better because of you! I love you very much.


Your loving daughter-in-law,


Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment