Saturday, October 1, 2011

Margie's 90th - Brandon

Grandma:



First and foremost, I wish you a happy 90th birthday! I am grateful for the opportunity to enjoy your company over the years. The time I spent with you was always enjoyable and my memories of visiting you are particularly vivid. I recall looking with anticipation for your house as we approached in our van for the Sunday evening visit. We had this contest to see who could see Grandma's house first. Sometimes I claimed to have seen your house, even though it was not yet in sight. Upon arrival, I would run to the front door. The door would sometimes stick, requiring me to apply my shoulder against the door several times before barging in. As I ran across the handmade rug into the kitchen and immediately hear the sound of your laugh. There is something about your laugh that is so comforting; small wonder that Mrs. Bird incorporated it into her vocabulary.


Our reluctance to leave your house was always evident in the slow manner in which we ;moved toward our car. We got our belongings together, talked some more in the kitchen, moved to the entry way, talked some more, moved onto the porch, talked some more, and eventually we got into our car. You never let us leave without waving goodbye; we turned on the dome light so you could see us waving back. I will carry that image of you and Grandpa waving to us for all the rest of my days.


You are a fantastic grandmother and a wonderful friend.


I love you,


Brandon Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment