Sunday, April 10, 2011

Music in the Family

Music has always been a part of the Shirley Family. Amos Moses Virgin, Ross' grandfather, plyed the fiddle. Ross' father played the bass horn in the Salem Silver Band. Dad and Mom both sang in the Salem Ward Choir. Dad was a bass and Mom an alto. I remember sitting by them in the choir during practice after a meeting and enjoying the music. Dad sang in a musical in St. Anthony. Mom loved to play the piano and I loved to hear her play.




If we wanted to play a particular instrument, Dad found a way to make it happen. Neal took guitar lessons in Rexburg and had a black Hawaiian guitar, that I loved to experiment with. Dale and I both took accordian lessons. Mom also played accordion. I still have the little 12-button instrument. Janet and I took piano lessons from Mrs. Mortensen. Neal and Dale both played trombone, so when it came time for me to take summer band, I wanted to be different. I put the names of several instruments in a hat and drew out "trumpet." I think I remember stacking the deck so that would happen. Dad supplied us with trombones and a trumpet. Neal had a folk group that would practice at our house. I would hide behind the couch and sing along, which did not make Neal happy. When Neal and I started a rock and roll band, Dad got me a set of drums. Our upstairs bedroom was where we practiced, so you had to climb over drums and amplifiers in order to get into bed. I was very interested in guitar, so when Neal was about to go on his mission I made a deal with him that if I could play the guitar well enough before he left he would let me play it while he was gone. I passed the test. When I was very young I remember asking Dad if I could get a harmonica. He asked me how I knew I could even play it. I told him I just knew I could. He got me one and I have enjoyed playing it. Some things you just know.



Dale learned how to play guitar as well. We had many family impromptu performances at family get-togethers. We would eat, then get out the guitars and sing the same old songs. Dad would come over and sit close to us so he could hear. His feet would tap along with the rhythm. It was, and still is, very gratifying to me when we still get together and sing and play. I love it when my kids and grandkids join us. I can't imagine life without music. I am so grateful for parents who fostered this love and other ancestors who actively encouraged it.


No comments:

Post a Comment